Saturday, July 7, 2012

Braden's New Room, New Moves, and Other Updates

Braden's New Room

Finally, Braden has his new room!  We moved him into it last weekend, but finally finished it up today.  So far, he seems to enjoy it!  

This is his new bedding from Pottery Barn Kids
The view of his room from the doorway
I guess this picture is a bit crooked...  I was really excited about the rocking chair.  We needed a chair for his room and I was searching high and low for a plain white rocking chair.  Evidently, they are super hard to find.  So, on a whim I ran to Once Upon A Child and they had a rocking chair in the perfect shade of blue for $30!
I got the letters from Michaels and painted them in a blue and a green that match the bedding
The dresser is from Kevin's parents - they bought it for Kevin a long time ago but he never needed it.  Luckily they kept it!  Kevin painted it white and the knobs blue to match the room.  The changing table will be moving to the nursery eventually, but for now it's still in B's room... not matching the decor whatsoever.
I am so excited about this!  I saw the idea on Pinterest and HAD to do it!  The bookshelves are actually $4 spice racks from Ikea.  Thankfully my parents went to the Ikea in Phoenix and shipped them to me since the closest Ikea to me is in Cincinnati.  I painted them blue and green to match.  Braden does not try to climb them as long as there are books in them! 
I found a lady on Etsy that makes prints to match the bedding set from Pottery Barn!  I got a set of three 8x10 prints for like $20!  I painted some frames that I had blue and green.

Braden Updates

Braden is 12.5 months old now and is just so funny!  He is so much fun to watch because he is learning so much everyday.  He is SO smart!  Of course, I'm probably a bit biased on that... He understands so much of what you say to him and you can tell that he gets frustrated that he can't fully communicate back yet.  You can tell him to go find a specific toy or book and he will find it and bring it to you.  He loves to read books.  He will get a book, bring it to us, and then climb in our lap so we can read it to him.  He is all about dancing too...  Here is a video of his new moves - he just loves the lid to the plastic bin.  He drags it around the house and then does this on it:


He is definitely developing likes and dislikes and makes his dislikes very well known... or just when he doesn't want to do something, or eat what we've given him.  He has started throwing some tantrums... today, we had to put him in his crib so we could hang the letters on the walls.  He did NOT want to be in his crib at all and screamed for a good 10 minutes even though we were standing right there.  We just try to ignore it and not give him any attention when he does that, but man, he can be loud!

It seems like the milk issue has resolved itself.  We give him all types of milk products now.  He loves cheese and yogurt, but won't touch cottage cheese (can't say I blame him there...).  However, he refuses to drink whole milk.  I've tried everything - mixing it in his formula, warming it up, etc.  He wants nothing to do with it.  He seems to like almond milk though, so that's what we are working with.  It's pretty tasty and actually has more calcium than cow's milk.  We are still mixing in some formula for the time being, just to get him used to it, but hopefully we can get rid of the formula soon.  Then it will be on to getting him off the bottle.  That is a battle I am not looking forward to... he will drink water out of a sippy cup with no problem.  He chugs the water!  However, the minute you give him a sippy cup with formula/milk, he throws a fit, so really, I'm looking forward to that...

He has discovered straws, but can't quite figure out how to drink from them yet.  He thinks it's so interesting when I drink from a straw, and he wants to try, but he usually ends up gagging himself or blowing into it instead :)

Baby #2 Updates

Still no name!  Jackson was on our A-list, but my brother and sister-in-law are having a boy in November and are naming him Jackson!  That's just means that our baby was not meant to be a Jackson :) 

He is making me very uncomfortable these days.  He is head down.  I never experienced that with Braden and I'm not enjoying it!  His head is pressing on my sciatic nerve and my pelvic nerve, so it literally hurts to walk.  It sometimes feel like my legs are going to give out on me - my doctor tells me that it's normal and there's not much I can do about it.  Oh well, only 23 days left.  I'm sure I'll survive.  Other than that, I'm feeling good.  36 weeks pregnant and I've gained ~20 pounds.  That's about where I was with Braden at this point too.  After this week, I'm giving up caffiene and dairy for awhile.  Since Braden had so many issues with dairy, I want to start out with no dairy in my system so that hopefully nursing will work out this time.  We will see how that goes!

No comments: