Thursday, July 26, 2012

Cloth Diapers

About 3 weeks ago we made the switch to cloth diapers.  I decided that I was not willing to pay $39 per case of diapers for 2 kiddos.  Also, Braden was getting diaper rash more frequently, and cloth diapers are supposed to be better for that.

I went back and forth on which brand of cloth diapers to use - there are a lot!  I finally settled on bumGenius.  They have a few different types of diapers, but we chose (or I chose) the bumGenius 4.0 one size cloth diaper.  I liked that they fit kids from 7 to 35 pounds, so you don't have to keep buying new sizes as they grow.  Also, you stuff the absorbent cloth liners into the diaper cover, so they work like a disposable diaper which makes it easy for daycare.

So far, I love them!  Braden doesn't seem to notice a difference.  The diapers come with an adjustable size liner as well as a smaller newborn sized insert.  That's good, because Braden is a 'heavy wetter' and we use both of the liners in the diapers.  I bought enough to have 12 per child.  Right now, I wash them every other day and it works out great.  When #2 arrives, we will have to wash them everyday, but it will just be a part of our nightly routine.  Wash them and throw them in the dryer when we head to bed.  Easy enough.  The only con that I have is that because they are a one size diaper, they are a bit bulky in the smaller sizes.  So, some of Braden's shorts no longer fit him when he's wearing the cloth diaper.  But that's the only con so far, so I think we will survive :)

No comments: