Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tex-Mex Chicken Soup

I can't say that I came up with this idea on my own. I have been reading the blog The Noble Pig for about a year now. She always posts recipes with step by step photos. I love it because I like to know how things are supposed to look through the cooking process. It's a really interesting blog, you should check it out sometime. Anyway, I copied this idea from her because I like it so much. I can't promise that this will be a regular thing because everything that I cook is not always blog worthy :)

I love soup, I just don't get around to making it as often as I would like to. Today, since it's about 8 degrees outside, we thought it was the perfect day to have soup for lunch. I really like this recipe because it's really simple, and is really healthy. The name probably makes you think that it is spicy, but it really isn't, which is why we add hot sauce to ours. Here is what you need to do:

Prepare the chicken that you are going to use. I prefer to buy the rotisserie chicken at the store because it is already cooked. However, you can boil a chicken or bake some chicken breasts instead.

Shred the chicken into a bite size pieces into a bowl and set aside. Usually the rotisserie chickens give you a lot of chicken, so I reserve half of it to use in another recipe.

Dice about 3/4 of an onion, and 2 cloves of garlic. You can add diced green peppers if you want, I just didn't have any at home. Saute in a heavy duty pot (the same pot you will make the soup in) with a tiny bit of olive oil, until the onions are translucent.

Add 3 regular sized cans of low sodium chicken broth, one 14.5 oz can of undrained diced tomatoes, black pepper and salt to taste, 1 to 2 tablespoons of chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. I also add some hot sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Add one cup frozen corn and the shredded chicken. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

I like to serve the soup with crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado, and shredded cheese. It also goes well with any type of bread.


Enjoy!

No comments: