Friday, April 23, 2010

Our Pen Pal

Since September 2009 we have been writing to a girl living in an orphanage in Russia through Hope Chest. Well, let's be honest - when I say "we" I really mean that I write and sign Kevin's name :)

We write her about once a month (sometimes it is longer than that because I forget and then I feel like the worst possible person alive because she probably already struggles with abandonment issues, but that's another story entirely). I tell her what we like to do and talk about our families and our adventures. We also send pictures along with our letters.

All we knew about her when we started writing to her in September 2009 was that she was 17 years old and brand new to the orphanage. Even working in the adoption field I could not even begin to imagine what she was going through to be 17 years old and going to an orphanage. Sarah, who used to work with me at KidsFirst, traveled to Russia in September and met her! She told me that she is very sweet and shy and is an excellent artist.

I had been interested to know what she is like and what she is interested in, but really had no way of finding that information out. However, on Monday we received an email with a letter from her! I was so excited because I honestly did not ever expect that she would write to us. Her letter was also much longer than I expected it to be and she really opened up in it about her life before she lived in the orphanage and her feelings about it, which is very rare. She attends school and works part-time and she hopes to attend the art school there next year. She described herself as calm, peace-loving, delicate and responsible.

If anyone has thought about becoming a pen pal with a child in a orphanage you really should. You have no idea how a simple letter and a photo every now and then can really make a difference. If you would like more information on how to become a pen pal, let me know and I'll put you in touch with someone. You can read about what Hope Chest does in Russia here.

No comments: